Friday, August 26, 2011

I ♥ The Library


"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." -C.S. Lewis


When something major happens in my life, or I am going to make a big decision I feel most proactive, most responsible and most well informed when I read books pertaining to the subject. Though the internet has a wealth of information, you could never compare it to a well written book. 

After our initial visit to the vet, I searched on Amazon for a few hours finding books on dogs and cancer. Some were very cheap used, others were a little more pricey. Luckily, as a frequenter of the library I know that there's a very good chance the book I want will be there. 
So I headed out to see if the vast hall of the written word had the books I wanted and sure enough they did!
Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and CatsThe Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in DogsThe Complete Holistic Dog Book: Home Health Care for Our Canine Companions

These were the first three books I picked up. 

Dr. Pitcairn's Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats Is a large book with a terrific amount of information regarding the negative aspects of conventional dog food, easy to make homemade recipes and nutritional information of whole foods. This is a great book but only had a small section on treating cancer.

The Complete Holistic Dog Book: Home Health Care for Our Canine Companions Written by Jan Allegretti and Katy Sommers, another great overall guide to caring for dogs in a holistic sense. It covers food, exercise, supplements, caring for older dogs and a couple chapters about when it is time to let your dog go. While those articles are written with great care, I admit I couldn't get through them without a few tears. 

The Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs This is without a doubt the most helpful book I borrowed for obvious reasons. While the other books only have a few sections about cancer this book covers various types of cancers, conventional and complementary care, the effects of chemo and other cancer fighters and a large chapter devoted to supplements and their effects. I honestly read this book cover to cover within a few hours. My next post will detail the supplements I decided to purchase for Sheba with help from this book. 

If you are looking for books regarding dogs and cancer, I first suggest going to the library. There is a huge dog section at mine and I will continue to post book reviews as I read them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment